Here is an absolutely delicious and healthy recipe for my Turkish spinach and yogurt meze. "Meze" refers to a selection of small dishes that are served in the Middle East, Mediterranean and Balkan regions. You can enjoy meze as an appetizer or for any meal-- breakfast, lunch or dinner. This is one of my go-to snacks whether I'm at work, home or when we are entertaining our friends. They love it! And it's packed with nutrients- Vitamins K, A, C, B2, manganese, folate, iron, calcium and the list goes on! I like to serve it with oven warmed naan or pita-- YUM! And it is SO simple to make so the excuses "I don't have time to cook", "I don't know how to cook" or "I don't feel like cooking" don't apply :-)
1.5 cups cooked spinach (either frozen or fresh baby spinach chopped)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 lemon wedges
1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
1. If using frozen spinach follow the instruction on the box to cook. If fresh spinach, you'll start at the next step.
2. Sauté shallot in olive oil for just a minute or two- it should be translucent, not browning.
3. Add chopped spinach, dill and salt and sauté for another few minutes until all of the water evaporates.
4. Place in a bowl or on a plate as below and refrigerate for at least 30-45 minutes.
5. Serve alongside warm naan or pita and lemon wedges. When ready to eat, add lemon juice to spinach. You're in for a treat!